Thursday, September 23, 2010

blog assignment #15: Africa/Storytelling

                        African Storytelling

1) What Debo has to do before school.
  
            Before I wake up and go to school I only have two chores, which are taking my dog out and making me bed, but what Debo does fascinates me so much. The first thing she does is goes out and sweeps the yard. Her yard is mostly dirt, so I'm thinking it is a harder job than sweeping the kitchen at my house. After sweeping she throws the dirt in a near by bush. She later then goes to get water from the well with her best friend. For the video it looks as though she walks really for from her house to the well. Boy, this makes me appreciate faucets more. With a bucket tied to a rope she gets water.

              After putting the water from a bucket to a bigger bucket she carries it on her head. Not only does she have to carry it on her head, but she also has to walk all the miles to get to the village. After seeing this video it makes me thankful for the little things I have. Though when my faucet is stuck on cold I'm glade I don't have to walk miles to get the water. I think Debo is going to be a very great women when she grows up.

2) How Marie Faye gets ready for school

        Every morning I get up and take my time doing everything. That's not what Marie Faye does, she works hard and fast. The first thing she does is get up and gets dressed. Her family doesn't have dressers, but the y do have suit cases in which they have their cloths in. She meets with her friend Mame, who is going to school as well. On the way to school, they walk, they joke around with each other. Just like we do with our friends. 

         After they have left the village they stop at a grain house. Then they take a dirt path, with cows on it, to school. I sure am happy to have a car, mainly because I live 20 minutes away from Bethany. This video helps me allot with not getting mad when my mom's old van's AC isn't working. Because at least I'm not walking in the heat or the freezing cold. I think it's amazing at how Marie Faye never complains.

3) Coumba shares how she prepares her meal

       Each day the women, where Coumba lives, have to prepare meals for their family. The three foods they mainly make are rice, vegetables, and fish. Before cooking the fish they must go to the well, get water, and clean the fish properly. Then they spice the fish up with a little seasoning. As they cook they joke around and play, and Coumba comment that the atmosphere is light in th kitchen. While the fish and vegetables cook they talk.

          When it's all done the rice is sorta ready to be eaten. Coumba says this because they don't really have a stove as we do. They have a black pan over fire in which they cook. But when it is done the familys sit around the table and enjoy their meal the women prepared. This video makes me thankful for my stove. I remember when my mom had to go outside and push buttons to turn the stove on. That still isn't as bad as what Coumba has to do. All in all I learned appreciation from these videos. That i plan to keep.



              

No comments:

Post a Comment